RECORD-BREAKING RESULTS: Under President Donald J. Trump, economic opportunity is soaring and unemployment is dropping for African Americans.
- This year, African-American unemployment fell to a record low of 5.9 percent.
- Total African-American employment has increased by 976,000 since President Trump’s election and stands at a record high.
- The poverty rate for African Americans reached its lowest level on record in 2017.
INVESTING IN DISTRESSED COMMUNITIES: President Donald J. Trump’s Opportunity Zone Incentives are promoting investment in left-behind, economically distressed communities.
- President Trump’s historic tax cut legislation included new Opportunity Zone Incentives to promote investment in economically distressed communities across the country.
- Opportunity Zones offer tax incentives for businesses to invest in economically distressed communities, making them a powerful vehicle for economic growth and job creation.
- Nearly 35 million Americans live in communities designated as Opportunity Zones.
- 8,761 communities in all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and five United States territories have been designated as Opportunity Zones.
- Through these tax incentives, we will jumpstart our American communities, create momentum for economic recovery, and attract investment to diverse areas across our Nation.
PROMOTING MINORITY-OWNED BUSINESS: Through job training, tax reform, and deregulation, President Donald J. Trump and his Administration are creating a better environment for minority-owned business.
- President Trump is empowering minority business owners by eliminating a historic amount of unnecessary and burdensome regulations that too often hinder their growth.
- Through the Department of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Agency, President Trump is delivering numerous new opportunities for minority business enterprises.
- President Trump’s tax cuts included provisions that benefit minority-owned small businesses, a segment that contributes more than $1 trillion in annual economic output.
- The President signed a memorandum dedicating at least $200 million a year to promote STEM education and especially benefitting women and minorities.
DELIVERING FOR HBCUs: President Donald J. Trump has made supporting our Nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) a key priority for his Administration.
- In February 2017, President Trump signed an Executive Order on the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- The Executive Order moved the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities to the White House from the Department of Education.
- This was the earliest Executive Order on HBCUs signed by any President.
- Earlier this year, President Trump signed legislation that increased Federal funding to HBCU programs by more than 14 percent.
- The President signed legislation that forgave more than $300 million in Hurricane Katrina related debt that threatened New Orleans, Louisiana, area HBCUs.